Thursday, February 11, 2016

Seedling

http://www.redbubble.com/people/dlamb/works/4865396-seedling?c=88759-still-life-portrait-and-manipulations
The hands that hold us back are often times our own.

A combination of several photos of myself. The initial shot was me kneeling (it was in a low ceiling basement) below a bright work lamp. I hung a black sheet from the ceiling next to the light, with it touching the outer bowl of the lamp to illuminate the details of the folds in the sheet. I used a 10 second timer since this was a solo project. I then took six photos of my hands, and added them in using the hand in the original shot as a guide for size. For the hand grabbing my arm, I was grabbing a rolled up black towel to try and realistically capture the hand muscles tensing as if squeezing. I added 2 faint textures using photos of a wall I took. Gave it a bit of a sepia tone, color corrected and a slight crop, all done in Photoshop.

The image represented some struggles at the time, and creating it helped sort those struggles out. Like a seedling, fighting it's way up through the dirt. Seedling is part of my Still Life, Portrait and Manipulations collection on RedBubble, available in print, Throw Pillows, laptop and Phone Cases, and Tote Bags.


Seedling is available on dlamb photography as cards, prints and framed pieces.

It is also available @ 500px  for digital download and licensing.

#digitalart #photomanipulation #sepia #reach #hold #dlambphotography